How scented candles can play a part in your self care routine
Written by Nicky Burnett Date 26 June 2023
How it all began for me
During the time that he was very poorly, I started to dream about starting a business where I could encourage other people to cherish moments for themselves with beautiful fragrance, and gradually Amare was born. Amare means to cherish in Italian.
What are the wellbeing benefits of scented candles?
The act of lighting a candle can be a calming and mindful experience. It can help to slow down your thoughts and allow you to concentrate on the present moment.
Beautiful fragrance can boost your creativity. It can help you focus and be more creative.
How you can include candles in your self care routine?
If you are looking for a way to incorporate scented candles into your self care routine, here are some ideas that I use:
- Light a candle before bed. The soft light and calming fragrance of a candle, can help to signal the start of winding down ready for your sleep, and can help you to sleep better.Some fragrances have proven properties to help you to relax, such as Lavender and Camomile.Make lighting a candle part of your evening routine. Reminding your body and mind that it is time to slow down and switch off.
- Take a bath with a candle.The combination of the warm water, bubbles and relaxing fragrance can help you to unwind and de-stress after a long day. I also add relaxing essential oils into my bath water!Remember to use your candle safety and keep it away from water
- Do your Yoga practice or meditation with a candle. Focus on the flickering flame and your breath. Let the calming candle fragrance help you to relax, clear your mind and focus.
- Read a book curled up on the sofa, pressing pause on the world for a while. Candlelight provides a cosy and inviting atmosphere that is perfect for relaxing and enjoying your book. Or playing your favourite music.
- Light your candle while you paint your nails, or give yourself a facial.The relaxing atmosphere created by candlelight can help you to feel pampered and indulged.
- Light a candle when you spend time with loved ones. Candlelight can create a cosy atmosphere to sit with a glass of wine and chat, or maybe a romantic atmosphere.
Some additional tips when you are using candles for self care
- Place them in areas of your home where you will be able to enjoy the benefits of their gorgeous aromas, A quiet and relaxing space if your aim is to let the candle stress you.
- Light your candle and take a few deep breaths. Allow yourself to relax and feel the benefits of the fragrance.
- Create a comfortable space, get cosy on that sofa and light your flame.
- Take time for yourself, unplug your phone, turn your devices off, and focus on what you need.
- Remember to keep candles away from draughts and curtains, and out of the reach of children and pets. Never leave a lit candle unattended